The plan for Spring is set. I’m headed back to my beloved mountains of Western North Carolina.
As of today, the itinerary goes as follows:
- Sometime in early April take a bus from Indianapolis to Johnson City, TN
- Take a shuttle from Johnson City to the Appalachian Trail (AT) trailhead in Erwin, TN.
- Hike the AT south for 142 miles to Clingman’s Dome in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
- Connect to the start of the Mountains to Sea Trail (MST) at Clingman’s Dome.
- Hike around 300 miles of the MST north and east to Grandfather Mountain State Park and Boone, NC
Once at Grandfather Mountain/Boone, the next step is, for now, uncertain. Options include:
- Take a shuttle back to Johnson City then a bus back to Indianapolis.
- Continue on the MST at least to Stone Mountain State Park, NC.
- Shuttle back to the AT and head north.
- Go back to Asheville, NC and figure something out from there.
Right now, I’m leaning toward the Asheville option, but there are several variables to consider, not the least of which being that I may not be doing the trip alone.
In any case there is still a good bit of planning to do like establishing resupply points; and I still have a few pieces of equipment to get. I will update as appropriate